A Greek twist to the traditional lasagne with the addition of eggplant, spices and halloumi béchamel sauce.
2 C milk
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon quill
2 Tbsp plain flour
40g halloumi, grated
40g mozzarella, grated
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
500g lamb mince
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
400g tinned tomatoes
1/2 C beef stock
6-8 dried lasagne sheets
1 large eggplant, sliced
30g halloumi, grated
- Combine bay leaf, cinnamon and milk in a small saucepan and simmer over low-medium heat for 5 minutes for the milk to infuse. Remove and discard bay leaf and cinnamon.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat and add flour. Return to heat, stirring until the mixture foams and turns golden.
- Remove saucepan containing butter mixture from the heat and add infused milk. Return to heat and continue to stir until the sauce thicken and coats the back of the spoon.
- Add grated halloumi and mozzarella. Stir until cheese melts. Set sauce aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mince to the frying pan and cook until browned.
- Add chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon. Stir over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and stock. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the liquid reduces slightly and sauce thickens.
To assemble the lasagne…
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a ceramic, oven-proof dish.
- Place half the meat mixture into the dish and spread to evenly cover the base of the dish.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer over meat.
- Drizzle a third of the béchamel sauce over the eggplant layer.
- Place lasagne sheets in a single layer over the béchamel sauce.
- Repeat with remaining meat, eggplant, third of the béchamel and lasagne sheets.
- Finish with remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with remaining grated halloumi.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving .