This is the ideal recipe to clear the pantry and fridge of odds and ends before the next grocery shop. It’s a great way to use up leftovers and can be adapted to suit what you have available. Even better, it makes a perfect lazy night dinner or weekend breakfast.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 C cooked protein (shredded chicken or lamb, diced chorizo)
2 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/4 capsicum, diced
1 C tinned tomatoes or passata
1/3 C chickpeas
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
Serve with cheesy toast…
Crusty, day (or 2) old bread
cheese of your choice
- Preheat grill to a low-medium heat.
- Place onions and oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté until onions soften.
- Add protein and mushrooms and continue to stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and capsicum and cook for a further 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add tinned tomatoes or passata, chickpeas and spices. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. The sauce will reduce slightly.
- In the meantime, slice the bread and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place mixture in a large ovenproof dish or divide between 4 small dishes. Sprinkle with crumbled feta.
- Make 4 small wells in the mixture, or one well if making individual serves. Crack eggs directly into well, being careful not to break the yolk.
- Place the dish under the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the egg white is cooked and yolk just set. Grill the bread at the same time.