Kids Party Food… For Adults
Caramelised Onion & Goats Cheese Tarts
Savoury pastry cases (purchased from The French Kitchen)
- 650g Spanish onions
- 50g olive oil
- 50g balsamic vinegar
- 75g butter
1 pkt goats cheese, crumbled
- Peel and slice onions
- Place oil, onions, balsamic vinegar and sugar in medium saucepan.
- Simmer over medium – low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the onions have caramelised.
- Fill pastry cases with caramelised onions
- Sprinkle with goats cheese
¼ seedless watermelon
4 sprigs mint leaves, shredded
1 cucumber, finely diced
½ piece feta, crumbled
- Cut watermelon into 4x4cm cubes
- Combine cucumber, mint and feta
- Spoon cucumber mixture over watermelon cubes
Antipasto Focaccia Sandwiches
1 large focaccia loaf, cut in half horizontally
1 tub basil pesto dip
1 pkt salami slices
2 red capsicums, roasted, peeled and sliced
2 eggplants, sliced and roasted
1 tub cherry boconccini, halved
- Spread each slice of focaccia with pesto
- Top with salami, capsicum slices, eggplant slices and boconccini
- Cut focaccia into 5x5cm pieces. Use a toothpick to hold everything together
Open Ruben Sandwiches
1 rye bread stick, sliced into 1cm slices
¼ C mayonnaise
¼ C Dijon mustard
6 slices swiss cheese, cut into quarters
12 thin slices corned beef, cut in half
1 jar cornichons
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard. Spread over base of bread slices
- Top with cheese slice, corned beef, sauerkraut and pickle
- Use a toothpick to hold everything together
Mini Meatball Panini’s
1 slice bread
1/3 c milk
400g beef mince
6 sprigs parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ onion, finely dices
2 tins crushed tomatoes
dinner rolls or Italian rolls
- Place bread and milk in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine mince, parsley and eggs.
- Squeeze excess milk from bread. Discard milk. Add soggy bread to the meat mixture.
- Stir to combine. Shape into small, bite-sized balls.
- Add oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Sweat until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs and cook for a few minutes on each side to sear.
- Add the tomato sauce and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce has reduced slightly and meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve meatballs with a small amount of sauce in a crusty bun.
- Grate parmesan cheese over meatballs and serve with 1-2 basil leaves per bun.
Pork, Currant & Caramelised Onion Sausage Rolls
2 slice bread
1/3 C milk
3 sheets puff pastry
400g pork mince
1/3 C caramelised onion (store bought or home made)
¼ C currants
eggwash (egg and milk, lightly whisked)
poppyseeds or black sesame seeds
- Combine bread and milk in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. Squeeze excess milk and discard.
- Combine pork, caramelised onions, currants, egg, and soggy bread in a large bowl.
- Cut each slice of puff pastry in half
- Place meat mixture along centre of each slice of puff pastry. Fold to enclose.
- Place each sausage roll on lined baking tray, join side facing down.
- Glaze with eggwash and sprinkle with seeds.
- Cute into small, individual rolls.
- Bake in a moderate –hot oven for 20 minutes.
Serve with any chutney or gourmet BBQ sauce of your choice. I used The Wholesome Cook’s Gingery BBQ Sauce
Raspberry, Rose & Pistachio Meringues
Meringues (make or buy. I used a Thermomix recipe)
300ml pure cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ C edible rose petals*
¼ C dehydrated raspberries*
*available from The Essential Ingredient
- Make meringues as per recipe of your choice.
- Combine cream, sugar and vanilla. Whisk until thick.
- Combine rose petals, dehydrated raspberries and crushed pistachios.
- Serve meringues with cream and sprinkle with ¼ C crushed pistachios
400g sweetened condensed milk
250g butter, chopped
500g arrowroot biscuits
2 Tbsp lemon rind
110g desiccated coconut
700g icing sugar
6 Tbsp lemon juice
40g butter, softened
4 Tbsp desiccated coconut
- Combine butter and condensed milk in a medium saucepan. Stir continuously over medium-low heat until butter has melted.
- Crush biscuits in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs.
- Add lemon rind, and coconut.
- Add butter mixture to the biscuit crumb and process for 20 seconds or until the mixture is well combined.
- Press into a lined lamington tin and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine icing sugar, lemon juice and butter in a food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until smooth and well combined.
- Spread icing over base and sprinkle with extra coconut.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Passionfruit Buttercream Cupcakes
Prepare cupcakes using any basic cupcake recipe or packet mix. I used a classic Country Women’s Association recipe from the Thermomix Recipe Community.
Passionfruit Buttercream Icing
125g butter, cut into cubes and softened
1 1/2 C icing sugar
1 Tbsp milk
Pulp from 1-2 passionfruits
Edible blooms. I found organic violets at Harris Farm
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add icing sugar and milk. Continue to beat until well incorporated. Mixture should resemble whipped cream.
- Fold through passionfruit pulp.
- Place icing into a piping bag fitted with star piping nozzle.
- Pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes. Top with edible blooms and additional passionfruit pulp.